A marital agreement, also known as a prenuptial agreement, is a legally binding contract that couples sign before getting married. It outlines the terms and conditions of the couple`s assets, property, and other financial matters in the event of a divorce or separation.
However, some couples may prefer to use a different term for a marital agreement, either for personal or legal reasons. Here are a few alternative phrases that can be used as synonyms for a prenuptial agreement:
1. Prenup: This is a commonly used shorthand term for a prenuptial agreement. It`s a familiar term that most people will understand, and it has a more casual tone than “marital agreement.”
2. Antenuptial agreement: This term is less well-known than “prenup,” but it is another widely used synonym for a prenuptial agreement. This term is often used in legal documents and court proceedings.
3. Premarital agreement: This phrase is similar to “prenup” and “antenuptial agreement,” but it emphasizes the fact that the agreement is made before the marriage takes place.
4. Domestic contract: This term is more generic and can be used to refer to any type of contract between domestic partners, whether or not they are married. However, it is sometimes used as a synonym for a prenuptial agreement.
5. Marital property agreement: This term is more specific than the other synonyms and emphasizes the fact that the agreement is related to property or assets that are considered “marital property.”
Ultimately, the term you use for a prenuptial agreement will depend on your personal preference and any legal requirements in your jurisdiction. However, by using one of these synonyms, you can avoid any confusion or discomfort that may be associated with the term “marital agreement.”